Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Opening and Closing Ceremonies
The Bulb worked with the Senior Leadership team to set goals and targets against 18 commitments placing sustainability and social responsibility at the heart of the planning, purchasing, design and delivery of the two Ceremonies.
Our goal was to use the influential platform of the Ceremonies to deliver the an inclusive and carbon-neutral legacy, support the local community and educate and inspire audiences globally.
We achieved impressive results including:
- Removed over-half of the predicted carbon emissions through robust reduction techniques
- Powered the rehearsal sites using HVO fuel, removing polluting diesel fuels
- Achieved zero waste to landfill across both Ceremonies
- Hired and returned for reuse over 95% of production assets
- 83% of props were reused and repurposed post-Ceremonies
- Over one-third of our supply chain were from the West Midlands, reducing our transport footprint and contributing to the local economy
- 100% of office and workshop assets were donated to local charities
- Disability Confident certified employer
- 8% of the Opening Ceremony cast had a declared disability
- Partnerships with social enterprises including Chuckle Productions, Jericho, Critical Mass and the Woodshack
- 33% of the workforce were from the West Midlands and nearly half of the workforce experienced working on a Ceremonies for the first time including ten paid internships
Thanks to the success of the Games, Birmingham has committed to £21 million of legacy money being earmarked for similar projects in the area, as well as being appointed host for more large-scale events including the UK Athletic Championships.